Do you want to make a difference? Recycling is one of the main actions you can take to make a difference in the world. By recycling bottles and cans along with other items, you are saving manufacturing energy, avoiding the destruction of natural resources, eliminating waste in landfills, keeping wildlife safe, and being creative. When you recycle bottles and cans, and multiple other products you are doing your part in keeping the planet green. Repurposing and reusing existing materials means fewer resources are needed to create new items.
Why is there so much waste ending up in landfills? You can choose to prevent excess garbage by recycling at your nearest bottle depot but not everyone understands how to recycle which can prevent them from doing so. It is easy to learn how to recycle by following these simple steps.
- Step 1 – Check with your nearest bottle depot and see what items they accept. If they don’t accept certain things, they can direct you to places that take items like old toys, furniture, and household goods. Many items can be given to a charity where they will find their way to someone in need. While your bottles and cans can be taken to the bottle depot, these are not the only items that can be repurposed.
- Step 2 – Before taking your bottles and cans to the depot, wash out all residue of food and drink from your recyclable items then dry them off. This helps prevent mould from growing inside the containers, making them problematic for recycling due to contamination. Every bottle depot and each city has different rules on how to recycle. Follow your local guidelines which may include doing things like removing caps or lids off your bottles and separating plastic from glass from metal. Sorting items helps for proper processing.
- Step 3 – Go to the bottle depot or have them come to you so they can count your materials. You may get a deposit amount back. The amount will depend on the size and type of container as well as the regulations set by your local government.
For more information on how to properly recycle ask your nearest bottle depot or check the internet. There is a load of information out there to help get you started.
How to Learn About Recycling – Making a Difference
Other ways you can better understand how, what, and why to recycle is by reading books and articles on the subject. Information can be found in blogs from recycling depot websites and asking around at a bottle drive where others are well educated on this topic.
When you understand about recycling it is good to pass this information along to help others so they, too, can make the world a better place. You can teach your children to recycle by making a game out of it like having them guess which bin certain materials go into. Points can be awarded for the correct answers and then they can exchange their points for a treat like ice cream. This keeps your kids interested in learning the importance of recycling. Good habits start at a young age, and they are likely to continue to recycle as adults. A simple action can make a huge difference.
Here are some ways you can start recycling bottles and cans, and other items around the house.
- Flatten cardboard to save space so you can recycle more in the same bin.
- Reuse is part of recycling. You may not be going to the bottle depot to return your soda cans, but you can make a new item out of them. Maybe you use the material to create an interesting wind chime for your garden.
- Think of a local school or artists you know that can help reduce your waste by reusing materials for their creative projects.
- Purchase recycled products instead of something made from raw material.
- Reuse jars by putting sauces and leftovers in them.
- Repair products instead of throwing them in the bin.
- Have several bins at home or work for sorting your recyclable materials.
- Purchase a reusable water bottle made of glass instead of continually buying plastic water bottles.
- Use a reusable tote bag for your groceries instead of putting them in plastic or paper bags from the store.
These are all ways you can become a better recycler.
What Happens to Items Brought to a Bottle Depot?
The items at a bottle depot are counted and sorted into categories. They are then cleaned, crushed, and sent to facilities to further refine the materials so they can be made into something new. New items made from recycled products can be anything from more bottles and cans to clothing, jewelry, and even furniture.
Can You Recycle Broken or Damaged Containers?
Usually, only products in good condition are accepted at a bottle depot. However, if your items are damaged, they may still be able to be processed into something new at a different facility.
Time to Recycle
It’s time to recycle to keep sustainability at the forefront of manufacturing. Recycling bottles and cans at a Calgary NE bottle depot like Happy Can Bottle Depot is a great way to make some extra cash and help create a positive future. Check your home or place of work and see what items you can recycle.